Saturday, November 20, 2010

Playing for the team instead of cheering them on

Now that I've finished my second week of work and even acquired a first paycheck, I'm feeling pretty good about my new job. I'm enjoying being out of the house all day, even if it means I get home late, eat, go to bed, and start all over again. That is OK if it means that I am able to contribute monetarily to our little family.


I was discussing this with B, my sister-in-law, recently. B and I have bonded lately over similar situations. She has been married just over a year, and spent her first few months of marriage unemployed and at home as well. Her husband was working outside of the house, but B was like me...stuck in the house, bored, an unintentional housewife.
Thankfully B was able to get a job and get out of the house, but she was there for me when I was still in the house. Going crazy, to some extent. This week, when I received my first pay stub, I was so happy, and I knew B would understand.

"Isn't it nice to be playing for the team, instead of just cheering them on?" she texted me. I hadn't thought about it that way, but yes, that is exactly how I was feeling. Despite the fact that the paycheck was small since it was only for one week because I came in the middle of a pay period, I was contributing. I was making a difference in our day to day life and it felt so good!

Now don't get me wrong. As I sit here and write this I keep thinking that I was contributing to our family, at least I was supposed to. I was cooking dinner, doing laundry, sweeping, vacuuming, basically keeping the house in order. At least that's what I was supposed to be doing. I won't embarrass myself bore you with the details of what my days really consisted of, but they weren't very productive.

These days the laundry isn't always done. Geoff swept the floor this morning and cleaned the litter boxes while I threw a load of laundry in and changed the sheets. These days we are both contributing a little more, but things are more even, and I love it. These days, we are playing for the same team, and I am loving every inning of this game.


Don't forget to check out my series on doing christmas on a tight budget! This Tuesday is the last post, and it's a guest post!

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...