Though I was aware that yesterday was Earth Day, I completely dropped the ball on posting about it! Although, one could argue that everyday should be Earth Day, so let's just pretend that I'm not late in posting.
Here are a few things I do to help the earth.
- Recycle! I absolutely love that our recycle bin is larger than our trash bin. Though we do sometimes throw away more things that we should, we also recycle almost everything. Thank goodness for living in the Pacific Northwest, where they love to recycle!
- We have a rain barrel (more on that next week!) and two compost bins; one worm bin and one larger compost bin in the backyard.
- Whenever possible we use cloth wipes, rather than paper towels. I'm still working on Geoff on this one...
- We usually use cloth bags for shopping. When we forget, however, we reuse the bags for kitty litter! I'm too cheap to buy the bags that you can compost, but if we ever run out of plastic I will do that.
- Whenever our light bulbs burn out I replace them with energy efficient bulbs. No sense in wasting the ones that came in the house!
- We keep the house at a balmy 63 degrees in the winter. It's cool, sure, but nothing a nice blanket and slippers can't fix!
- I make good use of Craigslist, Freecycle and Goodwill. Love those things!
- We have local milk and yogurt delivered every week. Sure, it's a little more expensive, but I love that the milk is local and 24 hours out of the cow by the time we get it!