Monday, January 9, 2012

The one where I actually praise an adult book


I'm editing this post so I can join in on Book Club Friday! Here's what I'm reading currently...

That's right. I'm about to talk up one of the most talked-up books out there. This is impressive because I don't read adult books. I'm an aspiring young adult and children's librarian, so I typically only read young adult books (of which there are many, wonderful books).
However. Guys. If you haven't read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (and the other 2 books in the Millennium Trilogy) then you're seriously missing out. Most likely you have actually read these books, because I'm typically the last person to pick up popular books because I don't like to read what's popular now, but that's OK.

I originally picked up this book from the library because I saw a preview for the new movie, and thought it looked interesting. Previously I had no idea what the book was even about, so I hadn't give it much thought. For the few of you who don't know, the book is about a journalist researching an unsolved, 40 year old murder. There are many, many more aspects to the book than that, but that's the general plot.
I listened to the first 2 books because I don't usually do well reading books that are slow to start, and this one definitely is. Though the first disc was slightly boring (as is the first 70 pages of the book, so I hear), it picked up after that, and never stopped. The second book, The Girl who Played with Fire, though not nearly as eventful, was just as exciting a read. I also listened to this one, but plan to actually read the final book.

Like I said, I know I'm behind the times, but The Girl with the Dragon tattoo was the best adult book I've read since Sphere, by Michael Crichton. And that's saying a lot, coming from me. So if you've somehow missed out, or put it down within the first 100 pages, pick it up again, skip ahead and get reading!

{Side note, did you know that the author passed away shortly after submitting the manuscript for the final book? It's too bad, because I think he would have written some excellent books after this.}


Have you read these books, or seen the movie (or movies, as all 3 were also produced in Sweden)? What do you think?

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...