Thursday, April 12, 2012

Hello, my name is Meghan Oscar the Grouch

Kids don't understand the amount of time and effort parents go into to choose their name. Not that I can talk, mind, because I don't have kids yet, but I have spent plenty of time thinking about what I will name my kids. And I've named two cats, which is obviously the same thing.

Anyway, here's the thing. Growing up my last name leant itself to mockery. I won't say it here, but if you know me, you understand. Then there was my middle name. Jean. A family name that I thought was not nearly as beautiful as Elizabeth. Ah, Elizabeth. The name I coveted. The middle name my sister was given. Nothing could be more beautiful than Elizabeth, and Jean just didn't cut it.

I remember standing in the driveway of my friend's house (a friend name, ironically enough, Elizabeth), stating loudly that my name was no longer Meghan Jean, but instead I would be called Meghan Oscar the Grouch.

Apparently I had no problem with my first name.




This post inspired by the writing prompt What did you want your name to be? by Mama's Losin' it.

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...