Sunday, May 16, 2010

Garden update!


It's been far too long since I've had a good garden update. Up here in the Pacific NW, we're a little behind as far as gardening goes. Friends in the south already have flowers on their tomato plants while mine...well, lets just say it's growing very slowly. Slow and steady my plants are growing though!


Our sugar snap peas have grown tendrils, so I put a couple bamboo skewers out there because they were curling around each other! It's fascinating to see them wrap their way around. I tried to get a picture of it, but couldn't get the camera to focus on the swirls. Oh well.


Hopefully they will soon be big enough to reach the rails and wrap around them. The other plants in that planter are cucumber, and they too are growing nicely. Not vertically as fast as the peas, but they're coming along!

The bulbs, of course, continue to grow like crazy. We have two planters with bulbs, but the second one is a little behind (I didn't take any pictures of it today) because it was in the back, where there is less sun. However, after just a few days on the front patio with the rest of these plants it is already sprouting!

Can you believe they looked like this a week ago??

Last but not least, our strawberries! I have to be honest with you, I think it's fascinating how fruit and squashes pollinate. The fact that there is a "male" and "female" flower, and there are far more males than females on a plant, probably because it takes so much energy to grow a pumpkin, or squash! Strawberries, however, I can't figure out. However, something is happening, because we have several little green strawberries that are growing! I love watching them get bigger every day!

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...