Monday, March 22, 2010

Menu plan Monday and a first month of budgets


I've been slacking in the blogging department, but in my defense, we had a friend visiting and Geoff's birthday to celebrate, so I've been spending less time on the computer in general. Which isn't always a bad thing!

Here is this week's menu plan, as always brought to you by Orgjunkie.com!

Monday: Shrimp scampi, breadcrumb and spinach salad
Tuesday: Grilled steak, pasta, grilled zucchini
Wednesday: Grilled chicken, mashed potatoes and fruit
Thursday: Hamburger helper, broccoli
Friday: Soup and sandwiches
Saturday: Night out!

This week I'm attempting to use up what we have in the freezer and also buy meat when it's on sale. It's something I know I should have been doing all along, but it's difficult to make so many changes at once. This week's grocery bill was the lowest we've had all month, and look what we're having! Steak, shrimp, hamburger...I'm thrilled!

This was also the first month we attempted to get a regular budget going. Based on a number of factors, we have determined that $250 a month is what we're going to start out at. Every Sunday we go grocery shopping and I've been keeping track of our spending for food. This month we came out about $30 under budget, but since there are 5 weeks in March I just added it to April's budget. All in all, I'm happy with how it worked out, and though it's only been a month I'm glad to be sticking to the budget so far!

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...